Mijas Costa is the coastal part of the municipality of Mijas. The term “Mijas Costa” is used to cover the areas of La Cala de Mijas, Riviera del Sol and Calahonda. Travelling from traditional Mijas village down to the coast, visitors will notice a different atmosphere and lifestyle. Mijas Costa offers relaxed beach life with access to many water sports including jet skis, waterskiing, wakeboarding, windsurfing and paragliding. The area is home to world-class golf courses, water parks, horse racing and a wide range of excellent dining options.
The two large residential areas on Mijas Costa are Calahonda and Riviera del Sol, both with large enough populations to be considered towns in their own right. They both offer all the amenities such as commercial centres, supermarkets, golf courses, sports centres, bars and restaurants. The area has many foreign residents from all over the world, blending in with the local population to produce a diverse blend of nationalities and cultures.
During the summer, Mijas Costa comes alive as many people from overseas come to visit the area. The main motorway divides the beach from the mountain side. One of the most popular activities are the local ‘chiringuitos’, beach bars that often serve grilled fresh fish, which Malaga is famous for. Walking along the beach, you can see some old fishing boats have been turned into grills to cook fresh sardines.
For those golf enthusiasts, without a doubt it’s a more than recommendable destination, as Mijas has some of the most well-known golf courses on the Costa del Sol.
Travel to Mijas Costa
There are plenty of options to get to Mijas Costa, as the area is a very popular tourist destination. The area is connected by bus and via the train line to Malaga. There are many airport transfer companies that can take you or taxis. All Mijas Costa taxis are regulated and have price lists to confirm the price of the expected journey.
Malaga airport to Mijas Costa
Mijas Costa is one of the prime destinations for many tourists that visit the Costa del Sol every year. The majority of visitors arrive via Malaga airport before heading to the coast. There are several travel options available when travelling from Malaga airport and Mijas Costa:
- Train: There is no direct train link from Malaga airport to Mijas Costa but the train in front of the airport can take you to Fuengirola, where a bus can get you to the Mijas Costa area. This journey is one of the most popular ways of getting to the coast. The train service is fast, clean and efficient. Fuengirola is the last stop for the train and the bus station is 2 mins walk. Alternatively, there are taxis outside the train station that can take you. The taxi fare from Fuengirola to Mijas Costa is roughly 25€, although this will depend where on the coast you are going. Again, we advise to confirm the price with the driver before getting in the taxi.
- Bus: There is a direct bus that leaves from Malaga airport to Marbella bus station. From there, you will need to catch the 220 bus that runs along Mijas Costa. A cheaper option, not recommended if you are short of time or have a lot of luggage.
- Taxi: There are no shortage of taxis waiting outside Malaga airport that can take to your destination. Taxis are a little expensive, the rates should be confirmed with the driver before leaving:
- La Cala de Mijas/Riviera del Sol – 45,00€
- Calahonda – 50,00€
- Car rental: Many people who visit Mijas Costa decide to rent a car, which can sometimes be a cheaper option that the combined costs of trains, buses and taxi during your stay . There is no shortage of car rental companies looking for your business.
- Transfers: In recent years, there has been an increase of companies offering transfer services. Collection at the airport and drop-off at your destination. This option is good for large groups and can be booked prior to your arrival.
Mijas Costa accommodation
As the area is very popular with Spanish and International tourists, there are many accommodation options available. Read our independent Mijas hotels reviews and book accommodation:
- Mijas Costa Hotels
- Calahonda Hotels
- La Cala de Mijas Hotels
- Mijas Hotels